6.25.2013

BABES WITH BLOGS - MEGAN FROM LIVE WELL AND BREATHE




Name: 

Megan

Blog:

Live Well and Breathe / livewellandbreathe.com

What you Blog About/ Your Blogging Content:
Me and my day-to-day, with an emphasis on all things thrifting, diy and New Agey. I post pictures of my dog, ‘cause she’s pretty cute, but not to an annoying extent (I hope?). I like writing the most, and so I have a habit of writing a lot, in general. No shortage of giganto-posts (but there are pictures, too!).

How long have you been blogging?
I started blogging back in 2001 when I graduated high school, way back in the days of Diaryland, when blogging was way less cool and way more angsty. I eventually migrated to Livejournal and was a dedicated LJ’er for a long time. In 2011, I changed to Blogger, and my relationship with blogging gradually evolved.

Why did you start blogging?
Back then, it was because although I had always kept a written journal, typing was so much faster than handwriting. Blogging then was way more personal, in a more “I’m throwing a Friends Only Livejournal tantrum” kinda way.

In 2011, when my husband and I got engaged, I got kind of obsessed with making our wedding as budget friendly and handmade as possible, and though it wasn’t my intent originally, I began to blog about the process at birdsofafeather2011.blogspot.com. I was really enjoying blogging, and deliberated after the wedding if and how I should keep doing it.

I created livewellandbreathe.com, and posted occasionally, but it wasn’t until I started seeing my naturopath in February 2012 that blogging became regular practice again – my naturopath helped me work through all sorts of things contributing to the state of stress and disorder I had been experiencing, and I was making so many discoveries, physically, mentally and even spiritually, that writing regularly wasn’t just a means of chronicling, it became a release.



Has your blog evolved from its beginnings? 
My blogging has always been about being as authentic as possible. I like writing anecdotally because I find so much meaning in life’s small details. Everyone has moments that are funny or strange, or magical or influential, and I love to honour those moments. When I was blogging our wedding planning, I wrote a post about how my now-husband’s and my endeavor to install our new washer and dryer was a true test of our marriage-compatibility (in other words, we passed). Moments – big or small – are special. I’ve always been candid as a blogger. To me, that goes hand-in-hand with authenticity and, I like to think, courage.

Sometimes I think, “Why did I post that?” or “Heaven forbid one of my coworkers stumble upon this space and finds out I cried when I got home from work yesterday because I was in such a foul mood?” I almost panic and want to erase everything I’ve ever written, and so I’ll go back and start to read old entries, and it takes re-reading at least three or so before I’m back to feeling comfortable with what I’ve posted.



Has opportunity or inspiration presented itself to you through your blogging journey?
Blogging provides such constant inspiration, to the point where it’s almost dangerous observing how much talent and brilliance abounds in the world, and wondering how I could ever measure up? I’m constantly worrying about accidentally stealing an idea from someone – not on purpose, but because blogging has such an influence on my current personal interests. I don’t keep reading a blog that doesn’t resonate - not because that blogger’s not talented, but because they just happen to not be fueling my personal creative fires at that time.

Blogging has also introduced to me a strong sense of community. I think sometimes people criticize bloggers for spending too much time online – I know even my own friends have admitted they don’t read my blog because they spend so much of their working days at their computers, or they’re trying to disengage from too much time online, or they’re simply just not readers of blogs, period – and it almost made me feel guilty to be spending that time online. But as I become more entrenched in the blogging community, I’m realizing it’s just that: Community. Collaboration. Contribution. I’ve created some really remarkable connections online, some that rival the connections I make in “real life”. People seem more open to being authentic online, when they’re tapped into the community – there’s a lot of acceptance. Not that it doesn’t have its dark side. I think there’s a lot of ego online, too, and it’s important to be able to identify that and keep away from it. Because otherwise it’s too easy to fall victim to the “I don’t measure up” pattern of thinking.



How has blogging affected your life?
Blogging has affected my life tremendously. I’m always learning. I’m more knowledgeable. I have new friends. I have release. I get burnt out sometimes, too, and that definitely has an impact on my life – trying to keep up with all the blogs I read, and Instagrams and Pinterest. I’ve had to force myself to be strategic…I don’t spend any time on Facebook, and the only reason I have one is due to being a member of the Apothecary Circle (I deleted my personal Facebook last August after much deliberation). I’ve opted not to use Twitter, or Vine, or other various apps that compete for my attention. Doing that allows me to invest more meaningfully into the areas that work well for me.

What challenges or joys do you face with blogging (ie. finding time, harsh comments, new peeps, social endeavours, business promotion)? 
I tend not to be a casual blogger, that’s for sure. Blogging is almost ceremonious for me: the chores are done, I’ve got a cup of tea, my photos are pre-uploaded and pre-posted, and I am ready to sit down and pound out a post from the heart. It makes for a lot of writing, and I don’t expect that everyone (or most, even) care to read everything I write, and that’s cool, because me writing it in the first place is the therapy I seek. It’s as good as yoga for me, or a hot bath.

Because authenticity is so important, I’ve been learning to accept blogging as part of me, and that’s why I got business cards with my blog address made up recently: to claim ownership over that. Not to say I don’t shrink and want to hide when someone “in real life” starts questioning me about my blog-life; I’m still insanely shy about it. But I figure if I can make it as authentic as possible, then I can accept that as part of me.

I’ve found the more I become connected in the blog community, the more I get fixated on things like followers. I have only a modest following as it stands, so that I’ll see I’ve lost a follower on Bloglovin and feel slighted. I find it challenging to separate myself from that. I don’t like when it begins to affect my ego, and I feel more important (“My blog is way better, how come I don’t have 1081 followers?”) or I feel less important (“Her photos and her hair and her blog and her style are so much better than me, why do I bother?”). If I find myself being swept into that, I really have to take a step back for some perspective, because I find that’s when blogging becomes draining and no longer a source of inspiration.

Do you see your blog continuing to evolve?  If so, how?
I have no intention of quitting blogging anytime soon; I reckon my blog will evolve as I do. Even reading old entries now, I no longer have the same interests or my opinion has changed. I signed a pledge recently to “Blog with Integrity” and added a button to my blog. So long as I’m abiding by that pledge, I am okay with the evolution. It’s the evolution of me, so it’s important to be okay with that. J



I know you're a Babe, but why do you think you're a Babe with a Blog?
I guess because I’m part of an ever-growing community of empowered people, and women especially, who are all collaborating and contributing to a positive and harmonious shift. I know that sounds like New Age woo woo, but I can’t tell you how encouraging and inspiring it is to connect with like-minded people around the world, exchanging ideas and information and sharing in the creativities to foster collaboration and community. I’m excited to be part of that movement as a Babe with a Blog!

Which Babes with Blogs do you follow?
So many good ones! A smattering…


What do you think makes a Babe?
A Babe is someone adventuresome; courageous; truthful; inspired; tuned in; innovative; passionate. Someone authentic.



WELCOME TO BABES WITH BLOGS.  I BEGAN A SEARCH FOR BABES AND WILL CONTINUE TO SEEK OUT AMAZING WOMEN.  THEY AREN'T DIFFICULT TO FIND.  MY GOAL IS TO INTRODUCE MY LITTLE CORNER OF MY BLOGGING WORLD TO OTHER INTERESTED FOLK.  THE WOMEN INVITED TO PARTICIPATE ARE BABES FOR VARIOUS REASONS.  PLEASE ENJOY AND SHARE.  IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO BE CONSIDERED FOR BABES WITH BLOGS PLEASE VIEW THE SUBMISSION PAGE HERE .  

1 comment:

  1. This is lovely. I love getting to learn more about so many women that I have grown to respect and love. And Megan just happens to be one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a Message Lovelies...